- Exploration based game. The world is something like Middle Earth in Lord of the Rings or The Hobbit, but without the threat of Sauron. There are ruins and critters everywhere you go. Anyone who can command a dozen fighters can declare themselves “king” of whatever stretch of land they can hold.
- I have no plans for city or town-based adventures. You may go to cities and towns, but mostly they’re not very interesting in this world.
- I have no extensive dungeon crawls planned. I’m going to try to keep any “dungeon” type areas to a few rooms. Again think wilderness questing.
- I have no quests planned. Pick a direction that sounds interesting, wander that way, get distracted by ruins to the south or a gorgon trail to the east and go that direction instead. There are ruins and critters everywhere, it’s up to you to explore.
- Tell me if your character has a goal and I’ll point you towards places you could go to accomplish it. (E.g. Finding a particular magic sword, a lost bit of knowledge, piles of gold, the six-fingered man…)
- It’ll be easy for others to join or leave – they can be wandering by or just wander off. :)
- I’m planning on using a new edition of Dungeons and Dragons (4E) for this game. If it doesn’t work out, we can go back to the Arcana Unearthed system.
- I’m thinking for our D&D game that the reason most of the ruins have not been looted is due to guardians bound to them – e.g. the Balrog in Moria, cthuluesque critters partially unbound by earlier adventurers, undead etc. Then I can have non-dungeon encounters that can be avoided/escaped but with the possibility of treasure if you can beat the guardian. The guardians can’t leave the area on their own
- The other big feature is wilderness / travel type encounters. These won’t usually be treasure heavy, but can allow for bigger scale manoeuvres and establishing the feel of an area. E.g. the plains will be full of were-critters, the coasts will have cthulu-cultists, the mountains have dragons and giants, the jungles will have city-scale ruins, and more as I come up with them
- If you want to mess with making characters, there’s a demo of the 4e character creator